Friday, September 14, 2012

Monthly Cooking. DONE


On Wednesday, my sister and I did our big day of cooking. I would say it went really well and so far I have tried the Taco soup and Sweet and Sour Meatballs and they were both good.
Some tips to make the day go faster and with fewer problems.

1.       Prepare all produce that day before. Chopping, dicing, slicing, and mincing everything. This will make preparing everything so much faster. It also helps the onion smell to disappear before your day of cooking.

2.       Rinse your potatoes in the dishwasher on the rinse cycle. I had read about it somewhere else, and it works!
Picture found on pintrest.


3.       Gather enough containers and freezer bags before you start. We ran out and ended up using yogurt containers instead of driving 20 miles to buy more bags.

4.       Ask the butcher to cut all your meat instead of doing it yourself. 

5.       While you’re shopping for all the freezer meals, go ahead and buy the toppings and sides that go with it all. Like noodles, rice, chips, cheese.

6.       Freeze your bags flat so everything stacks nicely.

7.       Keep the vacuum close to clean up the floor.

8.       Wash and tidy up as you go. I know for me I don’t have enough large bowls to use a new one every time, and so we have to wash them often.

It went really well, and for both families we spent about $400 for the month, so $200 each. We did our shopping at Earth Fare and it’s great going in there and not guessing what is ok and what is not, they do that for you. Some stuff is more expensive and I will it at the regular grocery store next time but the meat prices were comparable, we paid $3.75 for ground chuck.

I wish I had more pictures to share, but my sister would not let me take any of her and then my battery died.
 
My kitchen has still not fully recovered and my house smells like a Chinese restaurant now. It’s ok, it will be better after I mop (I hope).

No comments:

Post a Comment