Friday, September 28, 2012

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies

Did you know that coconut is really healthy and good for you? The fat that is in coconut is very similar to the fat that is in our kidneys, so for kidney disease patients like me, its a super food. When I found that little tib-bit of information out, I felt like I could really incorporate coconut into my daily meals a little better. I already love coconut, this just give me a reason to eat more of it.

A favorite cookie of mine has always been Ranger Cookies from my Better Homes and Gardens cook book. They taste great but for some reason when ever I would make them, the dough would not stick together very well. That was not the problem with my tweaked recipe that I have adapted to become Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Coconut Chocolate Chip Cookies (gluten free and dairy free)

1/2 cup coconut oil, room temp but not totally melted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 Teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup gluten free flour mix (wheat flour would also work just fine)
1 cup quick rolled oats
1 cup coconut flakes
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Using your mixer beat the coconut oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, egg, and vanilla together.
2. Add the gluten free flour, rolled oats, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips one at a time until each is mixed well. Use a spoon to mix the dough if it becomes to hard for your mixer. This is the point I like to pre-heat my oven to 375 degrees.
3. Drop by rounded spoon full onto parchment lined cookie sheets and bake at 375 degrees 8-10 minutes.
4. It's tempting to eat them as soon as they come out of the oven- but wait for them to cool a few minutes or you will burn your tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment