Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Baby M Arrives

The day of Baby M’s arrival begun very early at 3:30. We both woke and I enjoyed showering knowing that I would not be able to shower again until 24 hours after my c-section.  The car ride to the hospital was long but we were both in a daze and really unable to say much. We just looked at each other and were totally amazed and almost in disbelief that in a few short hours we would be meeting the little girl we had been trying to have for four years now.  We finally reached the hospital forty five minutes later but it seemed like it took forever. Once we were there I think that the excitement started to set in.

Everything started out right on schedule and without a hitch. My IV was started on the first try without any pain and before long I was being wheeled back to the operating room for surgery.  In there I was shocked  at all the equipment that was going to be used and this time, instead of several nurses and doctors ready to take a micro-preemie away to care for, it was just a few nurses, the anesthesiologist, and my ob. After they did the spinal tap, they went and  got my husband and the delivery began. The whole experience was so much better than with Malakai and I enjoyed it so much more. The anesthesiologist talked with me almost the entire time about his little girl that also has kidney disease and it really helped take my mind off the surgery.

The emotions of seeing Baby M for the first time were incredible.  I thought that I would have been worried if something tragic would happen to her to but instead I had an amazing peace that we finally were going to be able to take this baby home. It was utter joy to know that after delivering two other babies, we would be taking one home with us this time. Not once since she has been here has the thought that something bad might happen to her, God has given us a miracle. Matt went with her to be cleaned up and I stayed in the operating room while the doctor finished up the surgery.

It didn’t take too long for us all to be reunited in recovery. The events of the rest of the day are a little fuzzy but I do remember the nurses changing out several bloody pads and thinking, “wow that’s a lot of blood”. She brought me medicine for the bleeding and nausea and later the doctor told me that they were all getting worried about the amount of blood I was losing. It equaled about 2 pints and they had donor blood waiting for me but with my kidney disease they were hoping I would not need it in case I one day needed a donor kidney and the donor blood could complicate the process.

The loss of all that blood caused me to become anemic and I had to have 4 iron transfusions and 2 shots that help your body make more blood while I was in the hospital. When one of the nurses flushed my IV I remember thinking- wow that was so painful. It turns out that when she did it, she did it so fast that it pushed some of the iron through my vein and into my arm and caused my arm to fight it off like an infection. This caused my arm to swell and it was very painful. At least that was the worst part of the entire experience.

Since I had to have the iron every day for four days, we had to stay an extra night. I was so excited to bring Baby M home and start our life together as a family. She has been such a good baby, hardly ever crying and only fussy when she is hungry.    It has been wonderful being her mom and watching my husband take care of us both. I am so thankful that God answered our prayers and the prayers of so many others.

I wrote this late at night after a feeding, please overlook any errors.


  1. that is so precious. I am so happy for y'all

    Ashley Wilcox

  2. WOW- I am so happy to hear all that God has done in your life! Thanks so much for the update!!!!!!!!!
    Many congrats to you!
    Lisa- ( A Lovenox mommy)

  3. I am so happy for you and that you have a healthy baby at home. I also had my first child recently. I have wegeners (lupus family) kidney transplant in 99' and APS. It's an amazing experience and I feel like we are so luck that we get to appreciate being parents so much more than most people! Congratulations!!