Wednesday, September 5, 2012

30 Day Challenge



I have reached the realization that I must begin to do more about my kidneys. Last week, I wrote about the great appointment with the Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor. We left so excited about the possibility of actually bringing home a baby. Then I got a call from my Nephrologists office about my most recent blood work. My creatine is hanging out around 2-2.3 (I knew that before I saw the doctor) BUT for the first time ever my potassium was high. After doing some research, I found out that high potassium can be very harmful to my precious kidneys. SO here comes the challenge. For the next 28 days Matt and I have challenged ourselves to not eat out. NO MORE FAST FOOD! 

Why no more fast food? No more restaurants? Very simply put, it’s full of sodium, preservatives, harmful chemicals: ALL THINGS BAD FOR MY KIDNEYS! The portions are so big, and I don't know about you, but I always eat more than I should.

This is going to encourage us to try new foods in OUR kitchen and stay away from the BAD stuff that hurts my kidneys. I think it may also call for a few new gadgets too :) After all- not eating out is going to save us a lot of money. Money to buy gadgets, pyrex, and other pretty things… OK Matt may not go for that last sentence, so maybe more Movie Dates.

I have been working on new recipes and I am so excited to begin sharing them with you. Last night, I made Biscoff cookies filled with white chocolate and they are fantastic. Next week, my sister and I will be doing another day of Monthly Cooking, and I can’t wait to share the menu with you!

I know that some days I am way to tired to cook, and I can only imagine that all of you have those days too. That's why Monthly Cooking is so great! Pulling out a meal and throwing it in the oven is ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC when I'm tired. Stocking my freezer will really help me stay on track and stop eating out. You should try it too! I will be sharing some of the tips that I have found really helpful over the next week. Feel free to ask me any questions to help you get started.

I challenge you to set a goal of eating at home. You don’t have to do 30 days, even 1 week would be great! It’s even more fun if you and your family reward yourself at the end. Our reward is getting a subscription to HULU and going to the movies more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment